Wholewheat Halwa is a quick and easy pudding that leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy on the inside! It is best served warm and makes the perfect after-dinner treat for the whole family.
120g wholewheat flour
1 tbsp semolina
1 tbsp flaked almonds, to serve
- Dry roast nuts in a heavy bottomed pan and set aside once you can smell an aroma. In the same pan, dry roast the semolina and flour on a low heat for about 5 minutes whilst continuously stirring.
- In the same pan; melt the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the flour mixture back to the pan. Keep on low heat. Mix this together to form a paste and continue to stir.
- In a separate pan heat the water and sugar to form a simple syrup. Allow this to reach boiling point and continue to have a rolling simmer. Remove from heat.
- The flour and butter mixture should now be golden brown. Continue to stir and mix until you can smell a nice aroma, approximately 7/8 minutes.
- Combine the syrup with the flour mixture. Be careful as the syrup will shock the mixture and it will begin to bubble a lot. Stir continuously whilst adding the syrup and allow it to be absorbed by the mixture.
- The texture should resemble a very dense liquid form. Continue to cook this for another 3/4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat, garnish with almonds, and serve immediately as it is best enjoyed warm!