Thandai is a deliciously fragrant drink that is enjoyed during Holi Festival as a celebration. Thandai is literally translated as ‘cooling’ as accurately describes the effect of this drink. The overwhelming aromatics of herbs and spices combined with a fresh creamy drink makes the perfect Holi celebration beverage.
2 tbsp almonds
2 tbsp cashew nuts
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp green cardamom
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp saffron
60g rose petals
- Soak the almonds, cashew nuts, and fennel seeds in water for at least 30 minutes, but preferably up to 4 hours. Once the nuts are soaked, create a paste with them by grinding them down.
- In a saucepan, heat up the milk and add the saffron strands and sugar. Keep stirring the milk, being careful it doesn’t boil.
- Grind together the fennel seeds, green cardamom, rose petals, and black peppercorns.
- Add the spice mixture, the nut paste, and the cinnamon to the simmering milk and stir.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes and then allow to cool for a couple of hours
- Serve Thandai with decoration almonds, fresh mint, and a sprinkling of cinnamon.