If you really love your spices or you want to impress, add a second ‘tadka’ by tempering spices and simply add on top of our delicious Tarka Dal Side Dish. Our Tarka Dal has lots of flavour and the first tadka already, so you only need to add this final addition on top.
1 Kohinoor Tarka Dal
80g ghee (or Vegan alternative to keep the dish plant-based)
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
3 garlic cloves, whole
5 dried red chillies
8 curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
- In a frying pan, heat the ghee until hot and add the onion
- Once the onion is fried, add the garlic, chillies, curry leaves, and mustard seeds.
- Keep stirring the ingredients to prevent from burning.
- Microwave the Tarka Dal for 2 minutes, following the instructions on the packet.
- Serve the dal in a bowl and add the tempered spices on top
This mixed dal is a staple of traditional Indian cooking and is enjoyed all over the country. ‘Tarka’ refers to a tempering of mixed spices, garlic, onions and tomatoes that is layered on top.