Mujjadara is a classic Arabic recipe featuring cooked lentils and rice, caramelised onions. It’s the perfect one pot vegetarian family meal everyone will love.
250g Kohinoor Basmati Rice
250g lentils (green or brown)
3 large onions
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
20ml cooking oil
- Wash the rice under lukewarm water until the water runs clear and soak for 30 minutes
- Wash the lentils and boil them with 1 litre of water for 20 minutes
- The lentils will be almost cooked, so strain them to remove the water but keeping it for later.
- Slice 2 brown onions and the red onion. Roughly chop the remaining brown onion.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the sliced onions and slowly fry until golden brown, then remove and set aside.
- Add the roughly chopped onion and sweat down. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and pepper and mix well.
- Add the lentil and mix. Then add the rice (without the water it has been soaking in), the salt, and 800ml of the lentil water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until all the liquid has been absorved.
- Cover the biryani with a damp piece of kitchen roll then put the lid back on for 10 minutes to steam.
- Turn off the heat and let the biryani stand for 15 minutes.
- Serve with fried onions and parsley.
Our range of basmati rice is delicious and aromatic, whether its a partner to a main dish or the centrepiece itself.